FOSTER PARENT FAQs
We provide FREE support to registered 'traditional' foster families as well as 'kinship' foster families (family and non-family) throughout Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks, Berks, Montgomery, Monroe, Carbon, Schuylkill, and other surrounding areas in eastern PA.
- A copy of the placement letter provided by the county or agency (required for each new child coming into your care). These forms can be emailed to KindnessProjectLV@gmail.com.
- First-time families must complete a Resource Family/Client Agreement which will be emailed to you when you send your placement letter.
- Prior to visiting The Kindness Exchange Shop, please review the Shopping Guidelines which will be provided to you with the Resource Family/Client Agreement.
- All types of clothing ... shirts, pants, shoes, underwear, etc.
- Seasonal items (coats, snow pants, hats/gloves, swimsuits, etc.)
- Diapers and wipes
- Child-related furniture and equipment
- Car seats, strollers, etc.
- School supplies
- Hygiene items
- Safety gear
- Toys, books, games, and other fun stuff
- Sports equipment
- Any other necessity a family might need for FREE!
If we don't have items in stock, we will do our best to reach out to our Kindness Project Community of givers to help you in every way we can!
- Please let us know of the change so we can update your family file.
- Children are welcome to take with them the clothing, shoes, toys, and other items they were using while in your care.
- If you have larger items like cribs, strollers or car seats that you no longer have a use for, you are welcome to return them to The Kindness Exchange ... that's why we call it the 'Exchange!'
If you are continuing to foster children and will be using these larger items for new children coming into your home, we are happy to have you keep them.
We just ask that NO items are used for resale or to make a profit, per our Resource Family/Client Agreement.
FOSTER FAMILY REGISTRATION FORM
The Kindness Project provides support to foster families in the Lehigh Valley and surrounding areas by supplying clothing, furniture and other essential items, free of charge, to children in foster care.
Children are often placed in foster care with no personal items. Through our shop, The Kindness Exchange, located in Emmaus, PA, kids are provided with stylish new or like new clothes and personal items to help meet their most immediate needs.
FOSTER CARE FACTS
Over 443,000 U.S. children were in foster care as of 2018. The majority of children entering foster care are less than one year old.
In 2016, Pennsylvania had 44,359 total referrals for child abuse and neglect, up 66% from 2012, the highest number of reports recorded to date.
The number of Lehigh County foster care referrals doubled between 2016 to 2017.
In 2016, approximately 81,884 grandparents in Pennsylvania had the primary responsibility of caring for their grandchildren.
47% of children entering foster care are white, 21% are black/African American, and 20% are Hispanic. Over 75% of youth in foster are separated from their siblings.
Neglect/abuse is the number one reason for children entering foster care (62%).
118,000 children in the U.S. are awaiting adoption.
Agency partners' websites and other helpful resources for foster families.